Mapping/survey grid tool

This is a Windows application made by namirda

using “Litchi Mission Hub” specific for Survey Waypoint up to 250 waypoint now
support a whole list of DJI Drones FOV settings

Download latest version here :
Virtual Litchi Mission V2.7.2

1 Like

Hi again everyone.
I’ve finally made a video explaining the process I use to design missions for the Mini 2, but could be applied to other drones if you have a good grasp on capabilities.

I’m calculating everything based on relative elevations rather than absolute elevations, so this method requires that you have a digital elevation model and also that you roughly know where your drone will begin to fly from.

It’s a little bit clunky and boring with spreadsheets but I hope a programmer can see my method and see a way to design a web interface for this sort of thing.

You set the camera mode to 3:4 Single Photo.
Mission Planner automatically calculates where it needs to take photos and it will automatically take photos, but you need to be in photo mode before you start the mission.

Are you sure about this @Yaroslav ? When imported to Litchi Hub there are no “Take photo” actions in the Waypoints… Also, how this “auto-photo” mode works exactly? How do it knows where to take the photos?

brave_oN08tz1sMo

Hey guys I’ve been working on a mobile friendly web app for designing grids using any camera specifications. The basics are coming along well so far, just trying to work out the best approach to accommodate for how Litchi works.

I believe a strict takeoff point must be set and adhered to by the pilot in order to conform to set GSD (and so you don’t crash into something). This requirement could possibly be avoided if Litchi made it so before the drone takes off, a request for elevation at current lat/long is sent to their servers by the mobile app, and a delta elevation is applied to each point in the mission. I think this way a pilot can theoretically take off from anywhere and the drone will fly at the appropriate altitude, no matter where it started from. Whether that’s possible with the SDK is a different story…

Wish me luck with the next steps!! I hope to be able to help lower the bar for flying grid missions.

2 Likes

There are no take-photo actions in Waypoints because it uses the trigger-by-distance feature in the waypoints. There is a way in Mission Planner Survey Creator Tool to show where the photos are taken.

My tool is available in beta to explore at https://ancient.land

I created a post at Grid Waypoint Tool

It works in the browser and the UI should be suitable for most modern day mobile devices.
Currently there’s some display issues for some desktop browsers and there’s a few issues to resolve so leave any comments in the thread posted above!

2 Likes

What function does the name of the drone give? Is this displayed for information only?

And how to remove the dot

Each drone has a different camera, so to maintain the same overlap values, GSD, etc, the lines are recalculated and the height to fly is also recalculated.

When you say dot, do you mean the home point? I don’t have a way to remove a home point once it’s placed on the map, but you can click the button again and draw it somewhere else.

The green dot is necessary to calculate the different heights of each point, otherwise drones like Mini 2 do not have a way of tracking their elevation inside of a Litchi Mission. It is considered ‘0’ elevation and everything else depends on us beginning the flight at this point.

No. I want to delete one waypoint how to do it?

For now there’s no way to select individual points. It’s simply drawing points along lines which intersect your polygon.

If you design the mission with the point you want to delete at the end, then you could edit the mission in Litchi and delete the point there.

I understood it. To do this, the camera parameters are indicated below. But the camera settings will only be available when litchi connects the drone. And I don’t see how on the map you can understand that the photos overlap each other.

Yes, we have information about the cameras on the drones, so using this information we can design missions. I have provided the specifications in the user interface just to be transparent about the numbers being used. I still have further research to conduct to be 100% sure everything is correct.

About the photos overlapping, you’re right. I actually wrote the function which draws every photo rectangle, but the coordinate system (4326) I’m currently using distorts the polygons depending on latitude, so until I address this distortion, polygons are not visible. Everything looks good at the equator but becomes misleading the further north or south we go.

And why is it impossible to immediately save in the mission format?

You should also make a position button. How it’s done in litchi.

In Litchi’s mission hub, we save to their database and can access from our phones. They can control the drone.

My site can’t control the drone or access the Litchi database, but can generate a file that Litchi can understand and process.

It is probably better to discuss the project at Grid Waypoint Tool rather than make this thread more busy

Hi Fabio, the most tedious part of the workflow is actually converting the CSV generated by QGIS into a Litchi mission — so I created a tool to do that. I also wrote some brief instructions on how to generate the flight plan CSV file from QGIS. Take a look: GitHub - pdfinn/flightplan2litchimission: A command-line tool for converting the output from the QGIS Flight Planner plugin to a Litchi mission.

Let me know if it helps.

1 Like

Im still hoping that Litchi will add on this mapping function.
It’s always better by itself inside the app rather than with other 3rd party.
Just saying & BIG HOPE.
Peace.

1 Like

yes litchi and mapping is a must.

1 Like

Hi ! I’d love to use your tool along with “Flight Planner” plug in, however I find the readme quite obscure for non-coders. I’m not sure where to put the files, how to run the command, how to understand the use of projection centers, etc… Would it be possible to have a clearer readme instruction set, please ?

Thank you for the work, it is much needed!