The mini SE compared to the mini 2

I live in the mountains in Colorado and the RC connection to the UV isn’t quite what I expected. I’ve noticed that the mini 2 has a different type of transmission then the SE. Would I have better a connection with the mini 2 then I do with the SE?

Of course, dji mini and dji mini 2 will have a better connection than dji mini se.

And why is that paxxa?

Mini se uses a different communication format, in a way it is enhanced wifi, different from ocusinc and ocusinc 2.

Hello Pat Sweangen, here is what a Google search for the Drones pulled up. OcuSync 2.0 transmission system of the Mini 2 expands range significantly. Flight Range of up to 10km vs. 4km in the Mini 1. How Far Can The DJI Mini SE Fly? Its maximum transmission range is around 4km. “You can boost your DJI drone’s signal by using signal boosters especially designed for a DJI drone model. These can, surprisingly, double the range of communication. They are cheap, compact, and easy to use - making them a popular choice.”

In fact, neither mini1 nor mini2 can fly 10km.

Yes, and 4 km they will fly with difficulty

That is so paxxa. I flew a mission from my home to a rock formation across the valley that was 1.3 miles each way. The vehicle was in the line of sight for the entirety. The camera was flickering in and out and the vehicle acted as if it had a bad connection. It slowed, stopped at one point but never initiated a RTH due to signal loss.
So I will say far less than 4km.

Thanks for the info on the range boosters. I’ve checked those out. It looks like I’ll probably be upgrading so I can get more of the experience I was hoping for.

I’m a total newbee to this hobby but, already know it’s for me.

1 Like

@paxxa, Only the DJI Mini 2 has Ocusync 2. Both the Mavic Mini and DJI Mini SE use enhanced wifi.

No, it’s not. Mini1 uses ocusinc 1.0

DJI Drones Using Wi-Fi: DJI Spark, Mavic Air and the DJI Mini and Mini SE. Over the last few years, DJI has been upgrading its OcuSync transmission system. This began with the early iterations on the Mavic Pro, through to OcuSync 2.0 on aircraft such as the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom and the Mini 2, and then on to the upgraded, enhanced and latest DJI O3, O3+, and O3 Enterprise, on aircraft such as the Mavic 3, Mini 3 Pro, M30 Series and M300 RTK.

This is not true. Spark uses ocusinc 1.0.

And also spark can use wifi in its purest form to control with smart phone without remote control, that’s different

Does DJI Spark use OcuSync?

With the Spark, it uses a long-range WiFi variant, whereas with the Mavic it uses OcuSync and with the Phantom 4 Pro it uses Lightbridge.Jun 26, 2017

There are a lot of people that would like to have Ocusync with the Spark, BUT since it doesn’t, many people upgraded. Here is a QUOTE: “I’d pay good money to get a Spark with Ocusync. Because right now the Spark is a useless paperweight for me. A drone that no matter what I do (2.4 GHZ. OTG cable. Wifi, bluetooth off, go to beach instead of city…) can’t fly more than 100 meters properly is not a drone. It’s a lie. I feel cheated.”

If you’re using your mobile device to fly, the transmission is over Wifi. Therefore the DJI Spark’s maxmium distance will be 100m and maximum height will be 50m.

Using the remote controller, you can get a maximum of up to 2km (1.2 miles) depending on your region.]

(https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/20171031/Spark%20User%20Manual%20V1.6.pdf)

@Pat_Sweangen, you will be dealing with the “CANYON EFFECT” living in Colorado.
The effect is similar when you are in a city and have tall buildings in your area.
What happens is a COMBINATION of REDUCED SIGNALS and SIGNAL INTERFERRENCE caused by signals being Blocked as well as signals Bouncing off the sides of Canyons and Walls so that the signals work against you. Here is a short quote on the subject. PLEASE Google for more info!! “…knowing the effect of the canyon phenomena (canyon phenomena happens when an open street exists between the transmitter and the receiver) is essential and in fact it plays an important role in RSS high variability.”

So will range/signal boosters/extenders help with connection between the RC and RV? As long as I can direct the focus or pinpoint the signal towards the RV? Or because of the canyon effect, will I be ahead to aquire a mini2 that uses Ocusync and not enhanced wifi?

@Pat_Sweangen, I would think that you could get a more reliable signal as well as greater distance with the mini2. HOWEVER, using any DJI FLY app drone will mean that you CAN’T do autonomous waypoint missions beyond signal range and even in signal range the mission could get cancelled with an automatic RTH if interference should occur. Virtual Stick Controls (VSC) send signals to the drone constantly since they don’t load the mission into the drone and if disrupted for even a few seconds will end the mission. CONSIDER a drone like the Mavic2 Pro or Zoom that uses the DJI Go or Go4 app, since even if you lose the signal, the drone will finish the mission regardless of your controller connection. This is the real MAGIC of Litchi. (It is worth noting that the DJI Spark will do Autonomous Missions even if the Flight time is a little short.)

I often fly like this.

I turn on the follow mode and fly 3-5 km when the spark follows me or my car…
I have dynamic home point enabled so I don’t have to worry about the takeoff point.

Spark works amazingly in vr mode. For control, I can use any joystick for example from PS3. Moreover, there are practically no delays because the smartphone is directly connected to the drone.

1 Like

@paxxa, the Spark is a pretty good drone so I decided to get one too. Updating the Dynamic Home Point in Follow mode certainly adds options for getting more distance. VR mode is another option I plan on using too. BUT what I really want to check out is the SMOOTHNESS of the Waypoint missions compared to my Air2 S and Mini SE. I am saving up for a Mavic2 Zoom for longer missions since the jerky footage of DJI Fly drones may not be acceptable for some professional jobs. Thanks for the input!