Official word on Litchi support for MSDK 5 (Mini 3 Pro, etc.) Please

Would you please clarify how DJI is able to comment on software being created by Litchi?

2 Likes

Oops - I meant Litchi, not DJI!

Way above my paygrade (=not really sure what you are asking or why you are asking me).
But to hazard a guess, I would say no chance. I guess it is down to yet another means to limit flight of consumer drones to VLOS only to meet current regulations.

Well Nikki, this is about the worst news I’ve heard since my woman absconded without warning. I’m hoping that your conjecture might prove wrong with time BECAUSE the Mavic 3 is now capable of completing waypoint missions beyond signal reach using the DJI waypoint facility that was recently upgraded to make that possible. Clinging to that straw of hope I’ll delay selling my Mini 3 for a while longer.

Well, we can only hope!
I’m waiting patiently for any sort of waypoints for the Mini 3 pro. After all, any are better than none.

I always thought the VLOS rule would be a severe limit on drone flying, but with my M3P I sometimes find it’s capable working range is less than my VLOS. Sometimes I find the signal becomes intermittent / dieing out at less than 600m!
I wish I had kept my Phantom 3. That had good range AND waypoints!

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying about where you do your flying – that does make a difference, of course. And I’m glad to see that Litchi has said something about a version with MSDK 5 support for Mini 3 Pro, etc. (by the way, as I understand it, obstacle avoidance is disabled when using the MSDK 5, though there are rumors that this may change – which would be desirable). Hell, if they’re right about “1 or 2” months they could announce a Beta any day now! In theory, anyway.

Speaking of obstacle avoidance, keep in mind that the Mavic 1 and 2 come from an era of very different regulatory considerations, and the Mavic 3 has (AFAIK) a significantly more comprehensive obstacle avoidance profile than the Mini 3 Pro. So this would also tend to discourage expecting onboard waypoint support for the Mini 3 Pro.

1 Like

@Nikki - well I’m glad you received an answer in regards to our concern and the time frame as mentioned sound reasonable - now time will tell :slight_smile:

It would be most appreciated if Litchi can give word on how they will go about SDKv5 support.

Will it be parallell apps for SDKv4 and SDKv5 or will that be sorted out by choice of drone to connect to?

If new app will it have to be purchased separately? If so, how to get access to any beta release?

Time table of beta and first official release?

It would be a pity if all Mini 3 owners would have to resort to Dronelink´s beta.
Any information is better than to be left in speculations.

1 Like

Litchi has now said that they hope to get the first beta out by the end of this month.

1 Like

@Mats8888 Very good questions but unfortunately no answers. What I don’t get is why no one from the Litchi team is responding here on this forum - complete dead silence - hmmmm makes me wonder if anything good is going to come out from all of this ???

1 Like

Let´s hope they are too busy with coding and testing…

1 Like

I dont know the differences between MSDKv4 (current SDK and the version that has been supporting DJI drones going back to the early Phantom days) and MSDKv5.
It could be as different as ecru vs. beige … or it could be as different as black and white.
My guess is that the SDK’s are SO different and thats why it will take a complete re-write of Litchi.
Yes. I know … there are other software companies that have released a Beta version. I havent read or heard about anyone giving it a review, raving or otherwise.
I’m just glad that I have a couple of drones that will still fly with the current edition of Litchi.

I do agree that it would be nice to get any kind of developmental word for the new birds.
Patience isnt my strong suite either.

1 Like

DJI have some information on their developer pages.
There is a list comparing v4 and v5.
Most of the functions are listed as “similar” in v4 and v5.
Maybe 25% or so are listed as more different.

I guess a number of junior developers could take care of the similar functions
and leave the more senior developers to do the rest.
Have no idea of how big the workforce is so maybe it is only a few.

Maybe they can employ ChatGPT ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

MSDK 5 is a total rewrite from MSDK 4. I believe it also switched languages to Rust. Extremely nontrivial to port between.

Here is more detailed info on the v5 :

Somewhere there is v4 and v5 compared with regards to if changes are major or not. I am not a developer but a role of thumb is to multiply whatever timeframe development says with a factor of pi.

One thing to keep in mind: MSDK V5 only has an Android version.
As far as we know now, there WONT be a new IOS Litchi version that supports the Mini 3 Pro, etc.

This is true - no IOS via MSDK V5 - this is very unfortunate for those are keen in using IOS :frowning: although Android is better than nothing at all - right?
I just picked up a Samsung S10 Plus for a very good price indeed and I’m beginning to get used to it - I really like it so far! Now lets gets going with Litchi for the Mini 3 Pro already!

1 Like

Any updates on this?

And here we are, on July 13, 2023. No updates that I can see. An update from the Litchi team would be appreciated by all of us who own the Mini 3 Pro and the RC.

The beta has been available for 2 weeks:

1 Like