DJI has released MSDK 5.3.0 with support for Mini 3 Pro and Mini 3

This is the foundational requirement for Litchi to support these drones.

5 Likes

Can you share a link to the official announcement website?

https://developer.dji.com/doc/mobile-sdk-tutorial/en/

1 Like

Much obliged Mr. Barris. This is the first-ever sighting of that mythical creature called the Mini 3 SDK release announcement. I have bookmarked this page to watch for developments

Hi, when can we expect first beta that will work on mini 3 pro ? And one more question, it will be virtual controller or waypoint on sdk ? It seems that mini 3 pro can handle waypoints on board, or I’m wrong ?

Best,

MSL.

There is no indication I’ve seen that the Mini 3 Pro or Mini 3 will ever support on-board waypoints. AFAIK DJI has never implemented this on a drone without side obstacle avoidance (I haven’t checked extensively). So I would assume virtual stick operations.

2 Likes

A Mini 3 with the optional Plus battery can remain airborne for 47 minutes. If only onboard waypoint data storage were possible, this drone could travel 12 miles round trip with ease, most of which would be far beyond the signal range of the RC controller.

I just yesterday took delivery of my Mini 3, which I impulsively bought the instant I heard that the SDK release was imminent. It is depressing to now realize that beyond RC signal range Litchi waypoint missions will not be possible after all. I still cling to a sliver of hope that DJI will change their stance and allow fully autonomous flights to be possible for the Mini 3.

My Phantom 3 Standard has no obstacle avoidance sensors whatsoever yet has on-board waypoint support.

3 Likes

Looks forward to any development, being a MM3 Pro owner…

Exciting. As soon as there is support for the mini 3 pro I will be getting a copy of litchi, I’m excited :blush:

You’re right about that. Obstacle avoidance sensors can in fact constitute a major detriment during waypoint missions, capable of causing an outright loss of the drone, besides the fact that OA is not necessary at all if adequate care is taken to plan waypoint flights to ensure they soar above all obstacles along the flight path.

I damn near lost both my Mavic 1 Pros on a few of their early waypoint flights because the obstacle avoidance sensors were false-triggered due to erroneously identifying the sun as a solid object in the flight path. The result was that the drones embarked on a series of uncommanded lurching stops, before again resuming forward travel at a speed significantly slower than what was specified for the flight.

When that unnerving phenomenon occurred, I was forced to scale a 40-foot water tower to restore the RC connection and flip the switch to sport mode, so as to get the drone to resume its flight home without those unplanned stops, each time landing with barely enough battery power after that bizarre behavior ensued.

The advice from several drone forums was to disable all obstacle avoidance sensors prior to launching the Mavic on Litchi waypoint missions. That counter-intuitive precaution, in tandem with a complete calibration of every aspect of the drone that requires that process, finally put an end to that stuttering flight behavior.

2 Likes

My orig Mavic Air even had waypoint missions with litchi. Only front facing sensors there. Think that was the last non mavic drone to allow it (I may stand corrected as I am not much or a droner)

Edit: OK so maybe the air was a mavic… Hmm woops. But I think they stopped it in the mavic air 2 even though that has more obstacle avoidance sensors… I believe only their premium models have waypoint now.

Well, half of you will be happy, while half will not. There will be no iOS support from DJI going forward. Sad.

1 Like

Yes, it is sad. DJI announced in late 2022 that version 5 of the MSDK will be Android only.

DJI should consider awarding us disenfranchised IOS tribesmen a consolation prize of modifying the SDK to allow on-board storage of all GPS waypoint data at the start of waypoint flights. That concession alone would be sufficient impetus for me to acquire an Android tablet.

1 Like

Maybe time for another developer to take on iOS support … NO question the MIni-3 Pro w. onboard autonomous control would be a big winner!!

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why DJI haven’t capitalised on the C1 classification of the Mavic 3 and released an SDK for it - Mavic 3 Classic with Litchi - a match made in heaven!. Now they have declared that future SDKs will not support IOS. Why are they being so dismissive of their huge and loyal consumer base!?

1 Like

Up to now I’ve used my iPhone and iPad with the RC-N1 controller. I’ve never owned an Android phone or tablet. Can anyone recommend a good Android tablet to replace my iPad Mini 4, so that I can continue to use 3rd party apps with my DJI UAVs?

MSDKs like these are a massive undertaking to create, and their ongoing maintenance and integration as firmware changes are even more work. While iOS has a 16% or so lead over Android in the U.S., globally Android has between a 75% to 85% share of the smartphone market. So from the standpoint of a firm that sells globally, the calculus is pretty simple, especially when anyone who really needs an Android phone for use with DJI can get good ones now quite cheaply.

4 Likes

Hi p4309tc - thanks very much for your explanation - I do understand the influence of market pressures and that’s why I also asked for recommendations for an Android alternative to my iPad Mini 4. Nevertheless, I think that DJI will really miss the target if they don’t follow up the success of the Mavic 3 C1 categorisation with an SDK to allow full advantage to 3rd party apps.

1 Like