Control of camera settings for mapping missions - Mavic 2 Pro

Greetings from Atlanta -

I recently picked up a DJI Mavic 2 Pro for small mapping jobs. My background is using ArduPilot/Mission-Planner on larger quad-copters.

I tested Pix4D Capture Pro and was surprised and disappointed that this software does not allow control of camera settings. Worse yet - the settings it uses are quite wrong for mapping and photogrammetry missions. (BTW - I only took a look at Pix4D Capture Pro because it’s free due to my license of Pix4D Mapper)

So I’m not looking for alternative software for mapping missions for this Mavic 2 Pro.

Would someone please refer me to information about how Litchi provides the ability to set camera settings?

One of my biggest complaints with Pix4D Capture Pro is it uses very slow ground speeds. The camera settings it uses include a shutter speed that is way too slow - and may be the reason for such slow ground speeds.

It is also possible that Pix4D Capture Pro is using slow ground speeds to allow for the time it takes for the Mavic 2 Pro to store images on the SD card. But at the speeds it planning there is 1.5 to 2.0 seconds between images. That seems like an awfully long time - but I don’t know if that might actually be required.

I’m interested in try Litchi as an alternative - and would appreciate comments on these topics before diving in.

Thank you!

Most likely those delays are caused by the waypoints itself.
If Pix4D uses a waypoint for each picture, the drone will stop at each waypoint which needs a descelleration and ascelleration. This takes time.

Litchi allows you to set a Photo Capture Interval in either time or distance.
That way you only need waypoints at the perimeter of the mapping area and the drone will NOT stop for each picture.

Also Litchi will give you full control of all camera settings.

2 Likes

Thank you - this is promising information.

One of the features I use in ArduPilot’s Mission Planner when creating mapping missions is that the software reports both minimum shutter speed and image interval based on the mission criteria. (Overlap, ground speed, altitude, etc.)

Does Litchi have similar functionality? Once I learn the limitations of a specific camera, it allows maximizing the size of the mission by setting the highest ground speed that conforms to the camera’s limitations.

Also - as there are differences among DJI’s products, can you verify that such functionality is supported on the Mavic 2 Pro?

Thank you!

No.
Have a look at this thread for other options:

Litchi is a great tool for a lot of jobs with the Mavic 2 Pro, but mapping is not its strong suit.
You should take a look at DroneDeploy, or DJI’s Ground Station Pro. They both have the features you are looking for relative to camera settings.