Two drones with one controller, linking problems

I have two Mini 2 drones that I fly, one at a time, with one controller. Problem, when I switch drones Litchi doesn’t recognize the new drone. I have to run DJI Fly, pair the new drone. Then I switch phones to the one with Litchi installed and the drone connects and flies. Switch back to the first drone and Litchi no longer connects so I have to swap phones, run DJI fly, pair the drone (again), switch back to the phone with Litchi and all is good. Have to do this every time I swap drones. Is there any way around this?

2 Likes

No. That’s how it works unfortunately.

1 Like

The only thing I would add is that you could have both DJI Fly and Litchi installed on the same phone unless there is some hardware or software incompatibility preventing you from doing so. This would make the switch between drones a bit less painful.

1 Like

Thanks. I was afraid that was the case. So bottom line, even with just one drone, one controller, you have to first pair with DJI Fly to use Litchi. Seems odd. Any idea how come you can’t pair with Litchi without using DJI Fly at all? Guessing maybe something to do with DJI warranty or no fly or something?

I did try keeping both apps installed briefly but they conflicted. Since I had two old phones the quick and easy solution was remove DJI Fly from one and use that one for Litchi, the other for DJI Fly. From what I’ve read I can keep both apps installed on one phone and it will work but have to play with settings, permissions, etc to do so.

1 Like

It all depends on the phone OS, if you have iOS then when you turn the controller on DJI Fly will start automatically, so you’ll have to force close it, then open litchi, however if on Android, you can reove DJI Fly as the default USB app, so then when you fire up the controller you’ll get a choice of which app you want to open, tap on litchi and select just once, or just double tap litchi

2 Likes

Thanks. Actually have one of each IE an old Samsung Android and my wife’s old iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy has a larger screen and better battery so use that one as the primary. Will try reinstalling DJI Fly on the Galaxy and see if I can make it work.

If you are using the RC N1 controller, you can pair to either of the Drones without opening the dji fly app. 3 button method on controller. Brief press on function /camera/record buttons simultaneously. Then usual long press on M2 to make pair. No need to use fly at all…

2 Likes

Thanks Mcleod but I’m using the RC231. Confess I haven’t read the entire Litchi manual but did scan and search and couldn’t find reference to pairing. Know if there’s a method that works with the RC231?

The RC-N1 is another, and more commonly used name for the RC231.

1 Like

Hi there, not heard of the 231 controller. Just researched a bit and apparently it’s the same just with different labelling. So the 3 button bind in theory should work, no need for the fly app or any device to be connected to controller, as it can fly (in a limited range/fashion) without. Its range is limited because your not connected to the App and Dji don’t know where you are flying! I tried to find a bind function in Litchi. Don’t think you can…

1 Like

Sorry for the slow reply. Been working for a few days.

Thank you very much for the tips. Plan to go flying this afternoon and will try the three button method.