RTH doesn't always work (MINI 2)

I was thinking the same as i got a pop-up message “command execution timeout” 'till i remembered that the waypoint from where i wanted to start RTH was within the 20m range, but i do not remember the error number.

Today I did more tests.
If you activate RTH from the app with a distance greater than 20m, everything works.
If you activate RTH from the app with a distance of less than 20m, error time out but RTH from a physical key remote control works.
Attention: if in the previous flight there was an error time out because you activated RTH <20m, RTH in the next flights no longer works even for distances> 20m. It is necessary to reset for everything to work again.
RTH from physical button remote control always works.

1 Like

Even the RTH button didn’t work after timeout <20m for me.

This is weird. The RTH button on the controller should work even without any app, it directly controls the drone, as far as I understand. If that doesn’t even work that’s a firmware issue more than anything/

1 Like

For the Mini 2 it is not the case within the <20m range.
It has the same behavior with the FlyApp or even without.

Why does this problem exist in the Litchi app and when will you solve it?

RTH also does not work in payload mode, might have been an issue?

Can anyone please tell me if this issue has been fixed. I am experiencing the same issue, flying a DJI Air 2S and using a DJI RC Pro Version 2. Litchi app on the controller is version 4.26.2a. Please Help As I am relatively a newbie.

Read the ‘What’s New’ section:

And read the at least the RTH-section in the User Manual of your drone.

1 Like

Recently lost my mini 2 in the sea in Malta thanks to Litchi. Drone stopped responding completely, RTH stopped working completely and drone suddenly transferred to forced landing, straight into the sea. All parameters were normal at the start.
With this I have completely lost my confidence in Litchi.

1 Like

The loss of your Mini 2 wouldnt have been caused by Litchi.
There could have been multiple causes of the loss.

It could have been caused by the “Finish Action” that is user controlled if you were flying a programmed mission.
Finish Action : Choose an action that the aircraft will perform at the end of the mission. Available choices are “None”, “Go Home” (“RTH” on iOS), “Land”, “Back to First Waypoint” (“Back to 1st” on iOS) and “Reverse”.

It could have been caused by the “Signal Lost Behavior”
Signal Lost Behavior : This defines the behavior of the aircraft if signal is lost; choose between “Hover”, “Landing” or “Return To Home”.

The distance between the aircraft and the Home Point also affects the SMART RTH behavior. That behavior is in the User Manual for your drone.

More info about your mission or flying scenario and your posted flight log would provide more certain answers.

2 Likes

To add to the above, it could also have been caused by aircraft failure, or flying to close to the surface of the sea, flying to low over water can confuse the landing sensors and cause the aircraft to land

None of that is true. I was flying freehand in an open area, 86 meters above the sea (homepoint was on a cliff, 82 meters above sea level) and the drone was only 40 meters away from me, virtually no wind and I will never, ever setting my drone to land on a lost connection but always RTH. You certainly shouldn’t blame me, I’m not from yesterday.

1 Like

Nobody is blaming you, Patrick.
There were just a lot of unanswered questions. Now that we know more details about the flight, home point, etc … the flightlog would be helpful. The log can provide much more detail about the signal strength, battery condition, GPS info, etc.

If you were offended by my post, I apologize. That was not my intention.

2 Likes

I certainly haven’t had my toe stepped on, but I don’t like to be pushed on as if I don’t know what I’m doing when that isn’t or wasn’t the case. The only thing that can be accused of me is that I am not a seasoned drone pilot.
Below is a link to all flight details.
I don’t think I can deduce anything from this as to what went wrong. Except that the misery started with the report of a forced landing. The drone initiated the landing and there was nothing more I could do.

You had good GPS reception from the moment you engaged the motors. However, your home point was not recorded until 23 seconds into the flight which means you did not wait for the home point to be recorded before taking off. It is always recommended to let the drone capture its home point before taking off.

You flew down from your launch height into that area above water. At 1:48 into the flight “Auto Landing” was triggered and the drone began descending.

At 1:54, you pressed the RTH (Smart RTH) button. However, that command was ignored due to the fact that your drone was already in “Auto Landing” mode. You continued to press the RTH button many times but those commands were ignored by the drone.

So, the question is: Why did your drone go into “Auto Landing” mode?

According to the DJI Fly Safe web site, you were in a Blue Authorization Zone:

Much of the southern half of Malta in in this Blue Authorization Zone. Have you flown there before? If you have, you would have had to make an “Unlock Request” and loaded the unlock code into your drone using DJI Fly.

As best I can tell, the reason your drone automatically landed and didn’t let you regain control was because well into your flight, the drone detected it was within an authorization zone without an unlock code and DJI’s remedy for this situation is to auto-land. This would have happened whether you were using DJI Fly, Litchi, Dronelink, or any other software. In a situation like this you can slow the descent of the drone by pushing the left stick forward. However, since you were already below the launch point, you would have not been able to save the drone using this method.

Thank you for the explanation and my apologies to Litchi. Let this be a good lesson for me. Can I have the same intention in yellow zones?
I sometimes find the explanation of certain zones a bit ambiguous and confusing, especially for less experienced pilots.

In yellow enhanced warning zones:

• DJI Fly will simply ask you to tick a box indicating that you take responsibility for your flight.
  • Litchi will just let you fly.
  • No forced landing will occur in either case that I am aware of.