July 2022 Update: Interpolation and Gimbal Pitch movements at range

For the Android version of Litchi, the latest update looks promising:

Version 4.25.0 (July 4, 2022)
- added a media gallery that lets you review and download media from the drone’s storage
- [DJI GO/older drone models only] added new setting ‘Enable DJI’s Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode’ to allow gimbal pitch movements out of signal range
- [DJI GO/older drone models only] when supported by the drone’s firmware, custom waypoint speeds will now work even out of signal range

Two questions:

1. can the user set ‘Enable DJI’s Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode’ in the Mission Hub? If so, where?
  2. will this eventually work with the iPhone version?

For Gimbal Pitch changes and Flying Speed Changes to work there MUST be a connection between the AC and RC.
With the exception of the drones mentioned above as of Litchi v4.25.0 for android.
(DJI Drones released before 2018)

Answers:

1. No, it’s a setting in the Litchi App only.
  2. ???

Damn! I was hoping this update supported the Mavic Air 1 :neutral_face:

1. Where does it say that it won’t support the Mavic Air (1)? Is this assumed from the use of DJI GO rather than DJI GO4?
  2. Technically, since the speed changes and gimbal pitch are uploaded to the drone, there should be nothing preventing this from working with iOS?

Well, based on the fact that the Mavic Air 1 was only supported by the DJI GO4 app and that the Mavic Air 1 was released in January 2018.

(DJI Drones released before 2018)

That would preclude it from being supported by this update. I believe this update is only supported on Android as well, not IOS.

Is there anyone on here who can confirm if the update actually works with the Mavic Air 1?

Does anyone know if the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom are supported?

Do you mean “supported by the 4.25.0 update”? Yes, this update would affect them (Android only).

Has it actually been “confirmed” that the interpolation and gimbal pitch movements work, if there is no RC connection, with the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom with the Andriod 4.25.0 update?

Thanks

There appears to be confusion because the statement by Litchi is ambiguous:

• [DJI GO/older drone models only] added new setting ‘Enable DJI’s Gimbal Interpolation in Waypoint mode’ to allow gimbal pitch movements out of signal range
  • [DJI GO/older drone models only] when supported by the drone’s firmware, custom waypoint speeds will now work even out of signal range

What does Litchi mean by “DJI GO/older drone models only”? The most strict interpretation of this statement would imply that the update only affects “DJI GO” drones (Phantom 3, etal.) and not “DJI GO4” drones (Mavic, Mavic 2, etal.).

A more lenient interpretation would imply that Litchi’s use of “DJI GO” includes both “DJI GO” and “DJI GO4” drones. This is what I believe Litchi means but I don’t really know.

I use the IOS version of Litchi so I cannot see this update.

A point of clarification: All gimbal pitch movements are interpolated from one waypoint to the next whether “Gimbal Pitch” is set to “Interpolate” or “Focus POI”. Those are simply two different methods for setting the gimbal pitch angle at each waypoint. Either way, the gimbal pitch angle should smoothly transition (interpolate) from the angle defined at one waypoint to the angle defined at the following waypoint.

It seems this should be easy to test for someone with “an older drone” and Android. I use IOS and I never design missions where I would loose signal so I am not volunteering to test this.

It means all DJI Go versions including DJI Go 4. We have to keep changelogs short due to limited amount of characters

2 Likes

@vico
Will there be an iOS version of this update?

Thanks for clarifying.