I need Help With my Mini2 and Litchi App for IOS

As I researched it a bit, seems like iPads that are cellular-capable have GPS chips that work even if you don’t have cellular service signed up. WiFi-only iPads do not. The geniuses in Palo Alto could explain why, I suppose, but Apple is silent on the unlogic of that.

Everything is very logical. There is a GPS module. And also to improve accuracy, a cellular signal is used, this technology is already 15 years old.

So, here’s some information on the subject, which confirms what I said: iPads without cellular capability have no built-in GPS. Apple says so in their technical specification, below.

Which iPad Models Have Built-In GPS? (lifewire.com)

and

iPad GPS - GeoSpatial Experts LLC

“ Apple only stores GPS data down to the nearest second in latitude and longitude. (That’s 30 meters or so).”

And here’s the Apple official Specification

iPad (9th generation) - Technical Specifications (apple.com)

which has the quote:

All models

Digital compass

Wi-Fi

iBeacon microlocation

Wi-Fi + Cellular models

Built-in GPS/GNSS

Cellular

I don’t understand why you stupidly decided that there is no built-in gps module on a 2019 smartphone.

Jack I do not know if you are aware of the fact that running your MP4 video with subtitles turned on, gives you continuous telemetry from the drone, that was recorded along with the video subject. This applies to both Litchi and DJI Fly App. I found it very helpful. Please remember I am a novice at this, so this maybe old news to everyone.

Chris… I did not know that, thanks.

So, to move things on a bit, I created two waypoint missions that circled my house, one square (no curves at waypoints, and one that used curves to simulate a circular path, at least for 3/4 of the route. I ran each at three speeds: 1.4, 2.8 and 3.6 Meters/Sec. All were done at 30 M altitude. All were focused at the center of the house at 2 M altitude for the entire route. The square was 45 M on a side, and the circular part of the curved path was 28 M radius of curvature. I used 1920X1080 at 60 frames/sec, because my 4K TV upscales beautifully. Yaw rates for these six missions ranged from 2.8 to 9.2 Deg/Sec, by calculation.

I got unexpected results for the circular missions: The slowest speed looked the worst, followed by the fastest, with the medium speed looking the best. My wife was the judge, and I concurred.

For the square missions, slow was best, followed by medium, followed by fastest.

But I must say, 5 of 6 missions looked pretty darn good, with that slow circle having very apparent yaw jerks. We got to remember I’m talking about a Mini 2, the lowest price DJI drone, I believe. Be glad to post these if anyone has an interest (learning for me, because I’ve never done that.

I don’t understand why you stupidly decided that there is no built-in gps module on a 2019 smartphone.

And bpa, lighten up dude. Read carefully: I said iPAD, not iPHONE, and I stand by my statements.

1 Like

I remembered this message and decided that you have an iphone and an ipad. I don’t understand why you use hub for missions. It is very easy to create missions directly on your smartphone when you are already at the flight site. You can also copy and repeat a mission multiple times with different settings instead of creating different missions over and over again.

Hi Jack,
If you ever you need to pull the telemetry data from your video file record on a DJI drone. Just drop you video on the page and it will create a highly configurable text .SRT File it text. I just found this, and thought I would share it on our forum.
Regards
Chris

1 Like

Hi TriBar, I have just purchased a 2 year Refresh with DJI. Is the Litchi App an approved App from
the DJI Support People? In case of any claims.
Thank Chris

1 Like

2.4.2. Exclusions
The losses, expenses, and liabilities listed below are not covered by all services:
3) Damage caused by using your DJI product together with a non-DJI product or third-party accessory/software that is not authorized by DJI.
4)

I don’t know if Litchi is authorized by DJI.
This would be a good question to their support.
support@flylitchi.com

Will Litchi VOID your DJI Care Refresh for your Mini 2? DJI RESPOND
(skip to 3:25)

Was just about to post this myself :joy::+1:

Interesting, I did ask the same question, when chatting with DJI prior to purchasing the 2 year refresh insurance. They too, were non committal to me, but they did not say no either. This led me to believe that 3rd party software, that was successfully using DJI’s API would still be considered as part of the DJI inflight environment and therefore by extension, would still be part of the DJI regulatory obligations that are part of the qualifying circumstances that the refresh insurance covers. In conclusion I feel that we are covered, at least until DJI produce their own software that covers the same or similar functionality as Litchi or any other software that is successfully employing the DJI API engine. I am guessing that they would rather leave that functionality to 3rd party developers. As I too, am a software developer, this makes perfect sense to me. It leaves the door wide open and still leaves DJI in control, yet greatly enhances their marketing opportunities.
Sorry for rambling on a bit, but the real crunch comes, if and when, you actually need to use your DJI Refresh insurance while flying a Litchi mission. :thinking:

2 Likes

I had care refresh for the first year, however now I’ve got separate insurance which covers the drone, gives me third party liability and as long as the software I use too fly with was designed to be used with my drone, then I’m covered, and it costs similar to care refresh

Understood, but you are missing the additional extended warranty that also comes with DJI Refresh program. I still think DJI is is the better option initially, after 2 years your solution may work better than DJI’s offering.

Hi TriBar, is there anyway that you know of, to change the camera setting at any given waypoint, eg. to change the zoom for the purposes of increasing the optics on any give subject matter relative to a
specific waypoint.

Using Litchi you can’t. A hint would be there’s no mention of such functionality in the online user guide.

Also I’m pretty sure no other 3rd party App has this because DJI has not incorporated such in their SDK.

Do you have any insight as to why they would not include it. The DJI App seems to fall way short of so many other function, such waypoints etc.
Perhaps, DJI will be coming out with their own advanced FLY APP, that would require it to be purchased instead of giving it away with the drone, while keeping it compatible with the smaller drones, such as the Mavic Mini 2.
I guess only time will tell, because the this technology is progressing at a very rapid rate it seems.

“Zoom in” setting is in waypoints

Please, do not leave me suspense. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:, Pray tell friend as I am still very new to this whole thing.

This would be very helpful! Would it be to much to ask if, or would you be willing to, include a screen capture where it is located? In the Mission Hub, or on app? Thanks!