Ground speed vs airspeed

I fly a specific pattern every week on the gulf coast. Winds are unpredictable and sometimes when the wind reaches 20 mph my drone is at a virtual standstill. Is there any way to put groundspeed into the mission hub instead of airspeed? I do not want to fly at 30 mph all the time, and then my down wind speed would be way too high. As far as I can tell the speed in the mission hub is alway airspeed. Any workaround for this?

The speed that is displayed on the screen and the speed that is configured in the Mission Hub is ground speed.

I know but I want to set the speed to a certain ground speed. when I am flying and the wind is blowing 20 and one of my legs is set at 20 and I am flying into the wind, I am at a standstill. I can only program in wind speed, not ground speed.

unless the wind was blowing 40 but it was not close to that.

The speed that you are configuring in Mission Hub is ground speed. The wind speed at some elevation is usually higher than the wind speed at ground level. Depending on the drone, your configured speed might not be enough to travel against the wind.

The speed displayed on your screen is calculated from changes in GPS position. If you are at a standstill, what speed is displayed on the screen? It should be 0 (zero).

3 Likes

No Limit Drones offers performance hacks that allow drone owners to increase the nose-down attitude of their drones beyond that assigned by DJI, whereby the drone be tweaked into a more aggressive flier that can overcome stronger wind gusts without being forced to a standstill.

At 40 euros per drone, NLD is a costly purchase, however, you also get the ability to exempt your drone from No Fly Zones and other pesky inconveniences imposed by DJI to a greater degree with each new drone they release.

1 Like

If a drone was calculating airspeed, it would have a pitot tube or orifice on the front of it to catch the wind. Do any drones have that capability?

DJI drones do not. I do not know about other drones. Perhaps some commercial drones might.

This is a wild guess on my part but given that in contrast with some RC fixed-wing airplanes, multi-rotor drones aren’t equipped with pitot tubes as airspeed transducers, real-time computations based on drone-to-GPS satellite signal propagation delays might be the means by which current airspeed is derived.

2 Likes