Can I improve on this Jerky Video

Replaying my video I see that it’s not as smooth as I’d like.
How can we improve on this.?

1. Drone in Normal mode. If I changed to CINE would it help?
  2. If I set it to Interpolate would that help or would it mess up the flight plan.?

Flight Plan Result

At 5:10 to 5:35 in video it looks like the camera is being remotely controlled.
Maybe it’s the wind although it wasn’t a windy day.
On the construction site I only had the one POI and I placed it in the centre of the site.
Drone travelling at approx. 7mph. Set to Focus POI.
Flying at height of 35m and POI altitude at the time was set at 1m.

Drone Model :  DJI Air 2S
           Mobile :  Samsung Galaxy S20 5G

Andriod Version : 13
Litchi Version : v4.26.2-g
DJI Firmware :
DJI Fly : v1.9.4(1260-offical)

1 Like

@Jerbear The problem you are experiencing is most likely due to virtual stick commands and is something we all would like to see fixed. However the only way to do that is to store the mission in the drone so that it is not constantly waiting to receive signal commands from the RC. Currently only older drones that use the GO and Go4 apps as well as the newer recently updated Mavic 3 series can do this. Check out this post by one of our Forum Leaders TriBar for more information.

VIRTUAL STICK COMMANDS (vsc)

Tools, Addons & Guides

Mar 2022

TriBar

Virtual Stick Commands are control signals constantly send from the remote controller to the drone (stick simulations), and feedback signals constantly send from the drone to the remote controller.
They depend heavily on a Constant Good control signal.

DJI Drones that are build for the DJI Fly App are controlled by VSC during waypoint missions. (Mini-1-2-SE, Air-2-2S & (Mavic-3, Mini-3))

Older DJI drones are not, they fly by themselves.
They also have an extra AIRCRAFT Setting:
“Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss: Off/On”

Waypoint Missions are NOT drone depended.

When a mission is used with an older drone, it gets uploaded to the drone the moment you hit Start. When the upload is completed, the drone will take off and flies the mission fully autonomous.
If you would turn off the remote controller after take off, the drone is still able to complete the entire mission when ‘AIRCRAFT’ setting ‘Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss’ is set to ‘Off’.
When ‘AIRCRAFT’ setting ‘Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss’ is set to ‘On’, the drone will initiate the set ‘Signal Lost Behavior’ i.e. ‘Hover’, ‘Landing’ or ‘Return to Home’…

When the same mission is used with a newer drone (VSC-drone), it’s controlled by VSC the moment you hit start and takes off immediately.
The ‘AIRCRAFT’ setting ‘Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss’ is not available with these type of drones (VSC-drones).

VSC:
Every 10th of a second (I believe it is) Litchi sends a control signal with tasks to the drone, so the drone knows what to do, then the drone sends a feedback signal to Litchi, so litchi knows if the drone executed these tasks and were executed correctly, now Litchi can workd out the next set of tasks to send to the drone.

When either of these signals do not arive at their destination, even for 1/10 of a second, trouble starts, like strange behaviour of the drone.

When this interruption takes too long (Signal lost), the mission is aborted and either ‘Return to Home’, ‘Hover’ or ‘Landing’ will initiate depending on the AIRCARFT Setting ‘Signal Lost Behavior’.

Don’t confuse Control Signal with Video Feed Signal.

Have a look at this video (starting at 2:30)

DJI MINI 2 LITCHI SIGNAL FAIL

2 Likes

Adding to what @Steve_Amerson said, it appears to be a Control Signal issue and something that Virtual Stick users will have to learn to live with (I have an Air 2S as well). There are a lot of obstacles that could have interfered with the signal (populated area, houses, etc). Even the fence around the yard can interfere, especially as the drone is away from you and the angle becomes more parallel to the ground. The video seemed worse when it was the farthest from you and got smoother on its return.
Try to watch the Uplink signal strength and keep the controller pointed toward the drone as much as possible. Even turning the controller to the side will drop the signal strength.

3 Likes